Thursday, November 09, 2006

Livin' on the edge

So I've been watching a lot of Miami Ink lately, you know that show on TLC which features a tattoo shop... well, I've been wondering whether or not I want a tattoo. I see people who are getting symbols to live by, people to get over - or under, love to let go of, pet to hold on to, or simply a piece of art they can admire and have admired. I'm really not sure what kind of permanent message I would have inked onto my person. Since it's there for life it's not an easy decision.

From watching the show I've learned responsible tattooing is an art form, not something I understood before. It's wearable creativity. But, unlike a painting on your wall, you can't stuff in it your hall closet when you get sick of looking at it (which is probably a good argument for placement on your ass or back), nor can you pass it along to anyone after your death. It holds no commercial value on the market yet is of priceless value to you. How cool.

So I've been thinking, what would I get? Tough call. I see people getting fairies, tool boxes, skateboards, lips, dog faces, bubbles, flowers, religious symbolism, Asian characters, In Memoriams... I don't know if I am committed to an idea or image enough to have it inked on my body.

...sigh...

I think I'll know it when I see it. Maybe by then I won't want it. I guess for now, instead of getting a ridiculous arm band, Daffy Duck, candy cane, or my name in case I forget spelled in Japanese backwards tattooed across my back I'll hold off.

You know, I think I'm too much of a chicken anyway. I like to believe I could have this Zen-like message violently stained on me by a machine designed to prick me 54,912 times in the same freakin' spot. I like to believe that one day I'll know what that message is! Truth be known, I will have that message figured out one day but more than likely will have it on a post-it taped to my monitor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a huge committment - something to really think about. Did you see that chick from St. Catherines who had CNN's Anderson Cooper's face tattooed on her calf? Really, really think before you tat. S

Mood Indigo said...

a friend and I have been contemplating tattoos as part of what we like to call, "3 steps to rebellion." As part of my research I watched something like 5 Miami Inks in a row. By the end I was much less inclined to tattoo myself! Somehow I like the idea of a tattoo more than the tattoos themselves...