Friday, November 10, 2006

Get by with a little help from my friends...

You know, there is really nothing better than having lunch with a friend who always leaves you feeling better than before.

As I'm walking towards him in the parking lot he exclaims, "wow, you're looking great!"

Knowing I've been working out and on a new skin care regime I proudly say "Thanks friend!" and smile while cocking my head sideways.

Talk over burgers and fries includes how he loves, absolutely loves his new job, then moves onto his love life, the lack of mine and general rules of how to be and not to be in a relationship.

"How'd you get soo hooked up over this guy in just a month?" he asks about my recent break up. Since we only have an hour for lunch and we've already filled the first twenty minutes with how-are-you's I sing him the "dating is different in your 30's" theme song. Oddly enough, being that he's been a relationship for the last eight years he understood every lyric. Sex in the City fan perhaps? Didn't ask.

Sidebar: I'll compose the lyrics one day, likely in the form of poetry but if I wrote it today it would either come out like a "Hit the road Jack" ditty or a rip off of Whitney's "I will always love you" - who by the way is looking really great since getting off the crack.

... Aaaanyway, point of this was to share how amazing my friends are. I don't know how they know but whenever I need a pick-me-up they are right there...

If anyone's got some dating rules for the 30 somethings I'd love to hear 'em!

1 comment:

Mood Indigo said...

I'm failing miserably at 26 - but my rule of thumb (that I don't always follow) is always try something new. I'm thinking rock climbing. My kind of peeps might hang out at a climbing gym. And if not, well at least I'll get in shape :)