Thursday, November 23, 2006

I have a date!

After careful consideration of all options, things to do in and around the city, I have finally decided where to take myself. I'm going to the symphony.

Clicking my mouse I checked off the highest price ticket for the best seat for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra Holiday show.

Cost per ticket: $61.00
Number of tickets: click arrow up to 1 please.
Check out.

There's a really terrific feeling associated with not wanting or needing to take anyone anywhere. There doesn't have to be fake laughs, sitting next to someone who may not be enjoying the show, awkward moments when your knees touch, feeling like you have to entertain the other person like you're in an episode of Romper Room, or the inevitable uncomfortable first kiss (although those are really great sometimes aren't they...).

I figure I'll take myself out to dinner. Enjoy a really good glass of wine, stroll over to the venue and sit myself down among hand-holding couples, families, silver anniversary achievers and feel great about being on a date with the one and only me.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Love the u-date.
Just make sure you get a good seat. I remember my own medate to New York where I went to see a play and wound up sitting next to a family with seven, Little House on the Prairie Children, a mother who incessantly bit her nails and a man who text messaged through the entire thing.

Obi-Mac BakDon said...

It's a great and very mature thing to do. I like the lack of expectation, and that you can enjoy your own thoughts, the music, a glass of wine. It's very simple.

My sister megan has been writing about relatuionships from kind of the front-side. I am from the backside in a sense. I have been learning to be content and healthy being alone. It's really not being alone at all, but just divested of such high expectations for some stratling romance. It's rather freeing and I find I am much more free in my interactions with all people as I have dropped a personal agenda (I mean, except for respect and honesty).

I'm enjoying your blog.
~Mac

Mood Indigo said...

sister megan here to offer you kudos on your u-date! Do post a follow-up and let us know how it goes :)

Arthur Willoughby said...

And the cool thing is you don't have to worry about minding your manners. You can chew with your mouth open and enjoy all the unstifled belches you want.

Have a great time.

MontrealGurl said...

H: I hope they weren't Montrealers who will decide to see the holiday show.

Mac: That's a great point. I think I've been there too 'checking things out' and qualifying people as possible mates instead of just enjoying them. You're right, not having an agenda really does enrich everything.

Been reading your blog and am really enjoying it - thanks :)

MI: Will do! Can't wait for it!

AW: I think that will definitely get me a second date. Hehe