Sunday, December 03, 2006

A full week of me-date

For the last few months I have been consumed with the idea of going on vacation alone. I thought Prague, maybe Asia, perhaps even Iceland but I could never make the decision enough to sit and plan it out. I guess it didn't feel right.

If I go to the Czech Republic, Thailand or Iceland I want to share it with someone. The experience, the memories, and frankly, the hotel bill. It's expensive if you're traveling and don't want to sleep in a hostels small room with 11 other people. I wouldn't get any sleep thinking buddy beside me was rummaging through my back pack looking for floss or tube socks. See, I want to hold hands on the Charles Bridge, kiss in a hot spring in Reykjavik and rent a two-man scooter and dodge the rickshaw drivers in Chiang Mai.

When I go away alone I'm going to an all-inclusive. I know, I know, I always said I hated those places blabbering that they were a waste of time and money. That was before I knew that silence and serenity were actually good for me. Besides, they have day trips in Antigua, Punta Cana, the Mayan Riviera to see and explore! Some places have 16th century villages, others have Mayan ruins dating from 250 - 900 ad. I don't know which one I'll choose yet but I think a last minute deal in March sounds like a recipe for bliss.

Imagine it, the very last minute I book time off and hop a plane to who-knows-where. And so I wait. Weeeee.......

6 comments:

Heather said...

I like this new version of Montrealgurl. Keep it up :)

Terry said...

I highly reccomdend going on a solo vacation. I did it once before I got married and had the absolute time of my life. I think you'll enjoy it immensely.

Mood Indigo said...

very brave! I love your me-date mentality these days. If you have any tips send them my way - at least part of my South Africa trip will be solo and other than a few days in D.C. it will be my first time as well!

MontrealGurl said...

Thanks for the messages of support. I hear vacationing alone is something we should all give ourselves. Ohh, I'm really looking forward this!

H: Thanks friend ;) I couldn't have gotten here with ya!

SBW: Where'd you go?

MI: I flew to Singapore to visit a friend of mine and even though I spent some time with her I spent most of the time alone. It was a fantastic experience, one I would do again in a second. A tip for walking in an unfamiliar place, wear an mp3 player. Although I only suggest this during the daytime when you know safety won't be an issue! I blended in like a local, heard familiar sounds and walked at my own pace.

Ray said...

life is individualistic. we are all alone, we go to sleep alone even when you share a bed. I once put too much emphasis on the "love of my life", and i got hurt real badly. Enjoy the company of others, but happiness comes from within.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the youth hostels are a drag, not because people steal your stuff, but because out of a room of eleven, it's a near certaintiy that one of them is an idiot who is going to open a bag of chips at four in the morning.
The only time I didn't enjoy my vacation alone was when I got lost in the rain, for a long time.
It would have been nice to have someone else to blame.