Sunday, September 10, 2006

The ones that got away...

Spent yesterday afternoon at a friend of a friends sons 12th birthday party. The adults drank sangria, laughed, and discussed kids (not mine since I ain't got any) and all in all had a pretty great time. Listening to the home-building banes, potty training trials, and general malaise over mother-in-laws got me thinking... when is it my turn? That question came with a question mark slash exclamation point.

Do I really want all of that, right now?!?! I mean, dating sucks, I got the memo. But it sounds a helluva lot more appealing than a four year old jamming a hard plastic nerf bullet into what could only be described as a screaming bandsaw going through a steel pipe.

Which brings me to my next point... I swear, if someone gives me the are-you-still-single look one more time I am going to be the bandsaw. What is it about being the token 30-something year old friend who tags along at all friend and family BBQ's - is it the pity invite or are we genuinely wanted? You know, cuz we could all just as easily stay at home and not be reminded that we don't have a husband that makes fat jokes behind our back, have children that roll their eyes at us, or tell stories of how we yelled mercilessly at a hardware store worker who failed to know the difference between a 2 x 4 and a 2 x 10. For real.

But really, I have turned into that woman. The one that married ones secretly envy and hate. In essence, I suppose that's the same thing. Either way, I'll take it. I've got no one to cook for, do laundry for or pick up after... all of mine 'got away'. Thankfully.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Got away, or kicked out the door? Because personally, I prefer the connotation of the latter...

Arthur Willoughby said...

You hit it on the head: The one married women envy and hate.

The thing that sucks is that you never stop getting the "Are you still (insert perceived failure here)? People can't accept that maybe, just maybe, you're where you want to be, even if it's not the path the rest of the lemmings would choose.

You're still RENTING? You've been married three years BUT NO KIDS?

My favorite response to all the above is "You're still clinging to the world's definition of success and happiness unaware you're viscerally miserable?"

That's enough big words that they don't know they've been insulted 'til I'm home and in bed.