Friday, January 19, 2007

Me-date up-date

It was just the two of us that night, me and the symphony.

Parking right down the street from the Notre Dame Basilica in Old Montreal was easy when you get there over two hours early. I was right in front of a little Italian restaurant I heard rave reviews about so it was my first stop. I parked, paid the attendant and proudly walked towards the restaurant, cell phone in hand. I dropped it. You know flip phones right? Well, it was open. The two parts completely separated from one another and the only words I could muster was "oh fek." This was going to be a true me-date since I'd have to spend the evening totally alone, completely disconnected and couldn't text a soul. My out from my me-date was gone. You know those girlfriends you can count on to call a half hour into the date and dream up a crisis in the event you need to get the hell out?! Yeah. I shook my head and actually giggled to myself the entire walk into the restaurant.

Greeted by the hostess I requested a table for one. She led me to my brightly lit non-romantic table among a bunch of couples and proceeded to remove the second place setting at my table. The looks I got can't even be put into words. I think I got a few "you poor thing, eating alllll aloooone" looks but I didn't care. Part of me had an ego soo big thinking none of them would ever have the courage to do it so I sat. Again, proudly. Ordering a glass of wine, rib steak and escargots was incredibly satisfying. I had arrived. I didn't need that call from a friend, I was perfect company and felt like I was present, in the moment and loving every minute of it. That is, until I felt a repetitive tapping on my shoulder. I looked up to see a waiter not even looking in my direction trying to settle a PEPPERMILL onto my shoulder!!! Seems there was a shelf right behind me and that's where it lived and should have been returned to. Instead, he kept feeling around blindly sensing the thing was going to tip over but never actually bothered to look! I had to say "uhh, excuse me?!" Can you imagine!? He thought I was a shelf! Barely apologetic he left and I thought I would need more wine.

Sip sip sip.

I glanced around trying not to stare at the couples around me, most of which weren't even speaking to one another. Huge sense of relief, I'm having all kinds of conversations in my own head (which wasn't weird at all) and you know what, I'm a pretty good date. After all, I have no strange tics, have all my own teeth, I'm funny, charming, great table manners and have excellent taste in food.

I will confess, I did bring a distraction into the restaurant... a vacation planning magazine filled with pages and pages of all-inclusive resorts. I dreamed as I ate and drank and I couldn't tell what the couples around me were thinking. I didn't care. I finished my last bite, enjoyed the last mouthful of wine and walked to the Symphony.

I sat on a bench wide enough for four but it was only me. And, it was only me for quite a while since the other ticket holders were late. I got more looks there than the restaurant. Again, I didn't care. I was soo proud of myself that I could go to an event in my hometown and not feel out of place being in my place, alone.

Listening to the amazing Kent Nagano conduct the Montreal Symphony Orchestra was magical. But the icing on the cake was sharing the memory with only me on the ride home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, nothing like enjoyed solitude. I do the same myself, often enough, though I feel a little restless if I am "unarmed" with reading or writing material. Interesting how it is more "acceptable" to be coupled in disharmony than to be harmoniously alone.

(Have to make a point soon of checked out a Nagano-conducted symphony).

Mood Indigo said...

That is awesome - I'm proud of you! And especially for recognizing just how much cooler-thou-art than the rest of the restaurant! I love steps like these that remind us just how bizarre our socially-accepted constructs can be. Kudos!

(apologies for the excessive use of !'s)

Heather said...

Lovely. Sometimes I think 'me-dates' are the best kind.

Ian Selvarajah said...

This is very cool. How often do you do me-dates?

I first ate at a nice restaurant by myself when I was traveling in other countries. It turns out it was not as bad/embarrassing as I had initially anticipated.

I haven't yet attempted to try going to a fancy restaurant alone in my home town (MTL), although you have inspired me! :)

Ray said...

Dont worry about what anyone else thinks...being able to do this, i think, is the coolest thing EVER!

MontrealGurl said...

Zura - I think the next step is being 'unarmed' sans book, cell phone, or magazine. I think that will be my next me-date. Wish me luck. And, enjoy the symphony, they have free concerts in the park in the summertime which are a must-do in Montreal.

MI - Thanks girl! !!! ;)

H - You know, they really are. Need to do them more often. Wanna come with? ;)

True cool guy - I try to take time just to do nothing hopefully once a week which isn't nearly often enough. Silence really is deafening and I never knew it until I noticed the thoughts swirling in my head drowned out all quiet.

Poly - Thanks! It was a great date indeed.

S'Mat said...

yay me-dates! ever go on a date with someone else and feel like you're just dating yourself then too. this reminds me of a great quote:
'aloneness is so very different from loneliness.' - S'Mat's mother