Monday, August 07, 2006

Dude, where's my castle?!

This week I will be spending the anniversary of my birth touring a castle that was built for Louise... the love of George Boldt's life.

At the turn-of-the-century, George C. Boldt, millionaire proprietor of the world famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, set out to build a full size Rhineland Castle in Alexandria Bay, on Picturesque Heart Island. The grandiose structure was to be a display of his love for his wife, Louise.

Beginning in 1900, Boldt's family shared four glorious summers on the island in the Alster Tower while 300 workers including stonemasons, carpenters, and artists fashioned the six story, 120 room castle, complete with tunnels, a powerhouse, Italian gardens, a draw bridge, and a dove cote. Not a single detail or expense was spared.

In 1904, tragedy struck. Boldt telegraphed the island and commanded the workers to immediately "stop all construction." Louise had died suddenly. A broken hearted Boldt could not imagine his dream castle without his beloved. Boldt never returned to the island, leaving behind the structure as a monument of his love.
http://www.boldtcastle.com/history.html

Reading this love story, though tragic, leaves me with one thought. What happened to the days of castle-building, courting, chivalry, knight in shining armour, fight to the death for his lady's honour? The F-word, Feminism, in a healthy dose, I believe still leaves room for the romance of those days, of course without horses, swords, and powder wigs.

A friend of mine confessed that he feels with women being independent (which is something he finds very attractive) leaves a line that is blurred and men often don't know their place - before you hang me, those were his words not mine - and that opening a door for some women could be viewed as thoughtful whereas others would take it as an attack on their equality. Phooey!, I say. If someone wants to open my door, drape their jacket over my shoulders on a cool night, bring me flowers for no reason at all, that is ok with me. Those gestures, small or grandiose, do not and will never make me the weaker sex.

Now, building a castle is very sweet but for my needs it is completely unnecessary. I would rather a castle built on respect, love, friendship and laughter. I think that recipe makes a quite satisfying foundation if not the entire structure.

So on that note, I wait. I wait for my castle while I secure my own foundation in hopes of someday sharing it.

No comments: